Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Why do I let myself get too busy?

Yesterday morning Mikaiah and Ty came upstairs and said that Mikaiah had had that "funny" taste two times which means she is having a seizure. Ty said she got into bed with her and she held her until she felt like going upstairs. Instantly I think of the day before and realize I never gave her medicine to her. The morning before, I had picked up my girls from their dad's and her step mom had called me during the day because she had forgot to give her the morning dose before I picked her up. So, of course I say I will go ahead and give it to her but for some reason or another I'm caught up in doing all the other things I need to do and completely forgot about it then I put her to bed without giving her evening dose. WOW!!! I'm feeling like mother of the year. I gave her a dose of medicine and within an hour and a half she had 5 seizures but then the medicine kicked in and she did much better. In all 3 1/2 years of her having those I have not forgotten her medicine for an entire day and it makes me feel so bad. She gets so confused when it starts to happen. First she starts to complain about the funny taste and her belly and head start to hurt, then her pupils get so big that her eyes almost look black and she goes into her siezure. I always try to talk to her about it because I want her to feel safe and to know that we are there and will always take care of her. She is getting better with describing it to me at first she was so confused and would tell me her mouth tasted like celery and now it's like "eating fizzy go-gurts" she use to get really scared because she felt like she was all alone during them but now she tells me it feels like she is having a dream. For a long time we didn't let her know that she was having siezures when she felt that way because she is quite the drama queen and we didn't want her to use that as an excuse to get out of things but when it started happening more often over the summer we talked to her about it and it has been nice for her to be able to tell us she is going to have one and to talk to her about it afterwards. I just couldn't even imagine how frightening that would be and just breaks my heart that she even has to deal with that and have no answers to know if this is something she will have to deal with the rest of her life. Yesterday when I was giving her her medicine she asked me, "will I have to take this when I'm a mom?" The only answer I had for her was, possibly. With as hard as her medical issues have been to deal with I feel incredibly blessed that she recovered with such minimal problems. She may be the craziness in my life but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm hoping this is a lesson for me and I will remember to take care of the important things first during my days and not get so caught up with the things that can wait.

4 comments:

Joey and Michelle Chandler Family said...

Don't be too hard on yourself. You are doing the best that you can and all mothers suffer from guilt. It's hard to remember everything all the time. I wish Kia didn't have to go through this trial. She is a sweet girl and Ty is a sweet sister to keep her comforted when she was going through that.

Cami said...

I am sorry to hear about kia!!! Did you guys have a good Christmas???

Becky said...

we had a really good christmas. How was yours?

Celeste Dodge said...

Hey Becky!! Getting busy is the curse of being a woman. So scary about Kia! I'm glad she's okay though!

main